Monday, August 6, 2007

All Done, I Think . . .

Untitled
16 x 20 original acrylic on canvas



I think I've pretty much completed this one. As usual, I'll look at it for a while and see if it needs anything else. I've got a couple of titles bouncing around in my mind for this one, but I'm not yet decided which title I want.


This painting was a difficult one. There were so many small details which were readily visible in my references. A lot of staring and eye straining was needed to make out these details. The instant I had seen this in my rodeo photos I just knew I had to paint it. I love this scene where the rider is caught just at the moment of being thrown off the horse.


I'm also attaching a photo of a new piece I started yesterday. This one is a 20 x 24 canvas and will be part of a series. The series will be called "The Rodeo Crew" and each painting will have a different subtitle. There are three of these that I have in mind so far. If I do find a fourth that inspires me, I think I'll end it after the fourth. Each will be on the same size canvas also.
This photo shows the very first step when I roughly outlined the horses. My paintings usually start off with a very crude, undetailed outline. At this point, I'm more concerned about placement and shape. Once that's in, I block in, adding layer after layer, until the details are added in. Things often get tweaked and adjusted too as I go along. I've advanced quite a bit on it and I'll show some progress photos from time to time.

No comments: