Monday, January 14, 2008

Here I Am!

Untitled
11 x 9 original acrylic on board


Untitled
24 x 20 original acrylic on canvas

Yes, here I am, and I have a couple of new pieces to post. The last month and a half has been pretty hectic, but I still made time for painting.
The first smaller piece is almost done. I still have to add some minor detail work. He's an Egyptian Arabian and father of the little colt in the second painting. There's a glare on some of the darker parts of the foal painting and I'm hoping to take a better shot tomorrow, if the sun shows up as promised.
I love the atmosphere in the foal painting, the innocence captured, the lighting, and the theme. Spring is a time of fresh beginning and new life. In this scene, the foal is captivated by a little chickadee resting on a branch. The bird seems equally captivated with him. There's promise of many new discoveries for the foal, so much to observe, learn, and experience.
When I'd decided on adding a bird to the scene, I was a little at a loss as to how I would scale the bird. So, I settled on this size after doing a little research into a chickadee's size. I figured in an adult Arabian's muzzle should fit in the palm of your hand, and an average chickadee's about 5 inches, then it could not be too small in comparison to the colt's muzzle. And that's how I came to decide on it's size. After examing about 20 chickadees frantically doing whatever it was they were doing outside my window yesterday, I'm pretty confident I painted the bird to proper scale.
I've got a few pieces on the go at the moment, and I'm also thinking of re-doing the whole background for Counting Blessings. For some reason, I want to see mountains in the distance. I'm not sure when I'll get to this, but hopefully soon! There are so many pieces I want to get to. So, gotta go, gotta get painting, and I'll be back soon!

No comments: