Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Still Life From my Bathroom

Candle and Soap
20 x 16 original acrylic

Yup, this scene is from my bathroom. Well, I don't keep a candle there, or everything arranged like in the painting, but it is a scene I set up in my bathroom. I'd been wanting to paint glass blocks and various shades of white for the longest time. The candle and facecloth are pretty yellow, but they're still so pale that they might be considered fancy whites.

Painting the glass blocks was a challenge. Each block is really abstract, filled with lines, shapes, and colors, none making sense, but the whole creating the blocks. I might experiment again later with glass blocks. They're so different to paint from other glass subjects. I also plan on doing more studies in various shades of white. There's just something about the differences in white that compells me to paint them. I might also make some adjustments to this painting, minor details.

Also regarding art, please check out the Gift Horse mural project at www.muralmosaic.com/Cadeau.html . This project is sure to be a truly great collaborative work of art, and I'm so proud to be participating in this project. There are some truly amazing artists participating, several whom I've admired for a long time. I'll give more details as things develop.

On a personal note, I've quit smoking!!! Please congratulate me. This has been such a challenge. I've been on Zyban for the last couple of weeks and quit March 31. Today marks my 3rd full day without smoking. The Zyban has really helped also and I know I couldn't have done it without it. I'd tried soooo many times throughout the years. I'd been hearing from a lot of people about side effects and all that, but in all honesty, I have none. I also have no cravings for any cigarettes. None. Even if I would've had side effects, I would've stuck it out. Better to put up with a few little side effects and give up smoking rather than the possible alternatives later on, right? I mean, the excuses we smokers come up with are truly ridiculous. And all of the gross commercials and pictures on cigarette packs did nothing to help me quit. Nothing. What did convince me this time was a new commercial that took away all my excuses. Taking away excuses is an old trick in sales and I'm surprised it took so long for the cigarette police to finally think of this. After seeing this commercial several times, I'd made my decision. I also used to say that I enjoyed smoking, and that was another convenient excuse to keep smoking. Then it finally dawned on me a while back that a heroin addict like his drug too. An alcoholic loves his booze. That's nothing but addiction speaking. So, I'm proud of myself, but I'll never, EVER give up coffee! I wish the best of luck to anyone else out there trying. G'luck!

No comments: