Saturday, April 4, 2009

Night Light

Night Light
30 x 40 original acrylic


Well, it's done, varnished, and framed! Too bad it's so hard to take a decent photo of anything black though. I do want to have prints made of this one later on so I think I'll have to get someone else to do it.

So, what was the inspiration for this piece? Drama and wanting to play with contrasting lights. As previously said, I absolutely love tenebrism and it's one of my favourite things to do. Also, since we moved to the new house, I needed something for my living room. Selfish I know, but I needed something, and something huge and dramatic!

The most challenging parts of this piece were the gold cup and the clock. Painting various circular shapes can often cause many an artist to groan. The horse statue is one of the few horsie pieces I have around our house, and the old, bent, and rusty horse shoe is one I brought with me from our lake house when we sold it. See, my cousin and her husband had built that place when I was a kid and the adults used to play horseshoes. Over the years, the house had been sold several times and when we'd bought it, I found the horse shoe hanging from a hidden tree. I immediately was certain it must've been a shoe back from the day when we used to visit. Whether or not the shoe is from those days, who knows, but I kept it and will always keep it. Neat eh! Well, I think so . . .

What's next? I'm thinking something with white. I've had a yankering to play around with various whites for over a year and I think it's high time I do something about it. So, stay tuned!

No comments: