Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Teakie


Teakie
16 x 20 original acrylic


Here's a portrait I've just completed for someone of their 14 year old mare, Teakie.  Painting Teakie was a great pleasure. She has such a gentle eye and seems so sweet that  I wanted to bathe her in light rather than just doing a plain portrait. But, that's my style, isn't it? I just love to add that light which makes a piece a little more special.

I've got a few days off work also and am enjoy this holiday. I've been finally able to begin to catch up on things and, of course, relax!  So, what am I doing other than relaxing? I'm painting and thank heavens for that!

Now that Teakie's done, I'd started another horse piece, a larger cropped portrait and I can't wait to have it done! It should be done soon, and this time I did take photos so that I could post a "work in progress" series. I wil try to post these tonight or tomorrow, and will keep adding them until the final piece is completed, which of course, won't be long. It's funny how I came to paint this piece also. I was cleaning out old, unecessary photos from my computer a couple weeks back and came across this photo I've had for a few years. I've seen this hundreds of times, but this time, a painting just jumped out at me and I had to start it! Funny thing this inspiration. You can never tell where it'll come from next. So, note to self, don't discard too many older photos. Some gem may be in there and you just don't know it yet.

Once this is done, I've got a great shiny chrome water pitcher that's sitting in my cupboard and I've been itching to paint it. Each time I open this cupboard door, there's the pitcher saying, "Hey, what about me?"  So, I will start with that as soon as I'm done the next equine piece. I am putting aside another larger still life, but will get to that as soon as I'm done the pitcher. Inspiration. When it hits, you just gotta follow . . .

No comments: