Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Work In Progress

As promised, I'm posting a work in progress. The painting is still not complete. These photos are only posted in order that you may see how I work. Not all artists work the same, and artists all have their favorite techniques or methods when working, depending on the medium used. I work with acrylic and don't start in little sections. Rather, I work by covering the whole canvas with an underpainting, and work in many layers until I get the finished product.  Comments and explanations will be posted below each photo.


This first photo is my rough sketch. For this painting, I sketched directly onto the canvas and skipped a detailed drawing on paper first.  Since this is a large 24 x 30 canvas, I divided the canvas in 4 equal parts, just as I did with the photo. My vision isn't that good anymore! Ahem. From there, it was a simple matter of adding the shapes in each square. Simplistic, but I avoid detailed drawing if I can and work straight from the canvas.  I'm usually eager to jump into the paint!




Once the sketch is done, I cover the whole canvas with paint, using black, burnt umber, and for the white, a mixture of white, cobalt blue, and burnt umber to gray it down. I also started on the eyes so that they can guide me throughout the process.

                                      

From here, I begin to add layers of paint, or glazing, and adding light. I'll go back and forth at this point from dark to light until I know where and how I want everything.

                                       

Again, more and more layers are added. I've also began to mix in a mixture of cobalt blue, purple, and burnt umber mixed with a retardant So that I can blend and smooth out as I need to.I usually dry brush, but for these colors I like using a blending medium so that the underpainting shows through. This mixture is painted in the rear part of the horse as well as some areas of the neck and face.

                                           

                                         

At this point, I'm still constantly adding, playing with mixtures of burnt umber, burnt sienna, orange, naples yellow, and white. I've also begun to work on the mane by just roughing it in using black. I'm now ready to add light and color to the mane and to texturize with with color. I'm still adding more glazes of color to the rest of the horse also until I'm satisfied with the the results.

This piece should be done by tomorrow, so be sure to check again tomorrow to see the completed piece!  Thanks for dropping in.

2 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Wow Carole, you work fast! Thanks for sharing this wonderful work in progress and I can't wait to see it completed!

Carole Rodrigue said...

Thanks so much Colette! I would have to say that this one took about 3 days to do. I find larger pieces flow quicker than the smaller ones.

And I'll be sure to go have another look at your dogs again!