Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Winter Dance

Winter Dance
16 x 20 original acrylic
copyright Carole Rodrigue 2010

As promised, here's a completed painting. I call this one "Winter Dance" because photographing this beautiful Percheron was almost like a dance between the two of us. The horse was far out in the pasture when I spotted it. It would approach ever so slowly, and as soon as I would look, the horse would stop.

After waiting around freezing, -this was in February-, I'd had enough and decided to "dance". So, I would turn myself sideways and wait. The horse would take several steps. I'd look, and it stopped. I would turn sideways again, shuffling my feet, shivering and waiting, and the horse would approach some more. We went on like this for a good fifteen minutes, with my boyfriend patiently waiting in the truck. God bless him for all his patience with me! I had patience for the horse . . . 

Anyway, after our "dance", the horse was finally close enough for me to get a decent shot. From then on, it just seemed to pose for me. I could tell it was still nervous but curious, so I took as many shots as I could, and returned to the comfort of the warm truck. My poor buddy seemed disapointed!  After that whole dance, I just abandonned it, just as it had enough nerve to want to know more. But it was just too cold and I really wasn't dressed for shooting in the winter. I was even wearing high heeled boots! Now that's dedication to my art! Anything for a shot . . . Well, not quite. But I'm glad I had a chance to dance with this beauty, and I might drive back another day when it's warmer.

The shot of the painting is on the dark side.It's actually much brighter and lighter. Now, back to some still life! I have a few I'm working on and need to finish, as well as a series on mining. This is Sudbury, after all. Then, I've been asked to participate in painting a Muskoka chair for charity, to send kids to camp. I'm looking forward to getting my chair. I have an equine theme in mind, and pretty much know what I want to do. And I'll be helping to send a kid to camp!!! Yay! I'm excited about this project and can't wait to get started. I'll keep everyone posted on everything, of course.

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend, and a safe one too!

No comments: