Sunday, July 11, 2010

La Cloche Art Competition 2010

Me at the La Cloche 33rd Annual Art Show


My oh my, but it's been a while! I've been super busy with all sorts of things from painting, art stuff, competitions, and a whole slew of things that needed done.  But I'm oh so very proud to say that I won 1st place in the acrylic category at the annual La Cloche Art Show and Competition last week.  The show runs until 5:00 pm today, and forgive me for being late in posting this.

The award was given for my painting, Kettle & Cherries, which you see in the above photo.  I was in excellent company, and the range of artwork was incredible!  I was surprised and humbled to have won 1st place after I saw the entries in the acrylic category.  I kid you not, there were so many amazing works of art. 

When I had walked in to deliver my paintings for the jurying, I took one look at the acrylic pieces which had already been entered and I broke into a sweat.  I felft my heart sink to the pit of my stomach and thought, "Wow. There's no way I'm winning."  I wasn't even sure if I'd make the show!  So, imagine my delight when I received the call!  Again, I'm truly honored to have won.  I was determined to come home with a red ribbon.  I wasn't sure I'd get it once I entered, but before that, I kept focusing on that red ribbon and I did come home with it! Yay!

So what am I up to now?  Painting, painting, painting! I'm currently working on  a horse piece of Dancer, the Arabian I lease.  She's such a beauty and I will have several paintings of her in the long run, I'm sure.  I've also completed a still life which I will try to post tomorrow.  I've got some final touches to do and need to take good photos before I post it. Then, it's on to another horse piece.  I received some wonderful  reference photos from a friend of her two horses at dusk.  I'm itching to get to those!  I also attended the rodeo in Azilda last night and got so many great reference shots there.  Heck, I even printed out a black & white and framed it in my studio late last night.  I'm not getting into photography as an art, but I loved the cropped shot of a horse's neck and mane, complete with great bling.  I had to frame it and pronto!   I might post it later.

Before I close, I wanted to post a link to this amazing equine artist I discovered through Facebook yesterday.  Her name is Lesley Thiel  and her renderings are so realistic and breathtakingly beautiful!  She paints the most wonderful action shots. I am in complete awe of her work and know you will be too!  Have a look and enjoy!

No comments: