Thursday, October 28, 2010

Colette Theriault's Pentagon Commission

Hi everyone, I know it's been a while, and I will be posting some artwork today, later this week and next week. I wanted to take the time to introduce you to a wonderful artist.  I'm honored to call Colette Theriault a friend, and I wanted to share a link with you about a Sudbury Star article focusing on Colette's obtaining a commission from the Pentagon last year. 

Colette's wonderful rendering of three service dogs can be seen on her website.  Please take the time to visit Colette's site.  Her artwork is truly amazing!  It's no wonder the Pentagon would commission her to work on such a project.  Colette will also  be on MCTV news discussing her acquisition.  Way to go Colette!!!More of her work can also be seen in November during an exhibition she will be having with two other artists, Mary Ann Secord and Janet Kobelka.  I will be dropping in to see their wonderful work and I hope you will to if you're in the area!  The exhibit will take place November 20-21 at the Travelodge Hotel on the corner of Paris and Walford Rd. in Sudbury.  Admission is free.

Now to my art.  As an artist, we can often find ourselves with our well dry.  This has been happening to me a lot this past year.  I must admit that I have had health issues that have affected my productivity this past year, and this has also created a block.  So what's an artist to do?

I've been taking the time to sit back, relax, and refocus.  I'm reading the Complete Artist's Way by Julie Cameron, and it has really helped me to rethink and refocus.  What do I want to do?  The answer is simple. I want to make art. I want to make art that speaks to me and to others.  I love painting still life, horses, and animals.  I haven't painted as many other animals as I'd wished, however.  Painting my two cats, which you can see on my website , was truly magical and enjoyable.  I also find these two paintings, Wasn't Me and Petit Plaisirs, two of the paintings I love most and never want to part with . So, how can I keep feeling this pleasure and produce more work?  Paint more animals.  I also want to share this passion with you, the lover of art and animals by starting to do commissions again.  I must admit that Colette has inspired me lately and got me thinking that yes, I can make a living creating art and doing what I love best.  Stiffling our true selves is not good for anyone. Artists need to create, and so do I.

To start, I've been working on a graphite sketch of my dog Taja.  She's an adorable Shih Tzu and there are so many pieces I want to create with her!  I'm still not done with this drawing though.  I'm adding more shading and highlighting. I will complete this in the next couple of days and share the final drawing.  I will then post a work in progress of a commission I'm working on of two dogs.  If you are intersted in having your pets captured in art, you can visit my website for more info and a list of prices.  Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have! 


No comments: