Thursday, January 20, 2011

At Last!

Au repos
18 x 14 original acrylic
Copyright Carole Rodrigue 2011


Yes, at last!  I've finally been able to get this painting to where I felt it should be.  Every artist knows that when working on a piece, we can always continue, always find something else we want to add. We then have to come to a point where we say, "It's done."  So, this one is done!

I call this one "Au repos", which is French for "at rest".  This is a portrait of my beloved Shih Tzu, Taja.  I got Taja last spring when she was a year old.  I had been wanting a small dog for a long time, but was worried about the commitment.  For months, I'd search online and look at different breeds, pictures, and available dogs.  One day, I came across an ad for her online and immediately knew I just had to get this dog!  I have never regretted a moment since.  From the night we brought her home, it was as though she'd always belonged. And it was obvious from watching her that she felt the same. She never showed one instance of new home anxiety. When she first came in the house, she stopped and looked, then she started running around like an excited dog who was ecstatic to be home at last!  I love her to bits and, yes, she is a spoiled princess and that's okay. 

Back to the title, about being at rest . . .  Taja loves to play, like any typical Shih Tzu.  She has this huge rope toy which I included in the painting, and it's so big, it's funny to watch her shake it about. After a round of play, she likes to rest and either nap, or gaze about.  In this piece, she's gazing out the window, basking in the warm glow.  I had taken several photos of her that day, and she was just so beautiful that she begged to be painted.  She looks so content and so rested in this piece.  This contentment and peacefulness is something that we all seek, author included.  Au repos, I'll find it some day . . . 

So, what now?  I'll be working on still lifes for a while.  I'm working on something huge with red in it.  I'm just itching to paint another horse, but so many still lifes are beckoning at the same time.  I'll keep you posted. 

Thanks so much for dropping by, and take care!

4 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Aw...Taja looks so sweet!! Love the warm, relaxing glow you have captured Carole! I can't wait to see the next one!

Carole Rodrigue said...

Thank you Colette! She does look sweet, doesn't she? :-D

Gary Keimig said...

what a great job you did on this painting. Just beautiful.

Carole Rodrigue said...

Thank you Gary! And thanks for taking the time to come and look!