Sunday, March 13, 2011

Red Vase Still Life

Salvaged, Red Vase Still Life
30 x 40 original acrylic
Copyright Carole Rodrigue 2011

I'm glad to be finally posting this one tonight!  Why you ask?  Because this one almost went to the fire. Yes, it does happen.

So, what happened? Oh nothing really, except that from the minute I started painting it, nothing went right.  There are too many things I could write about on this, but let's just say that this piece fought me every inch of the way. It waged war with me, right up until the last varnish coat. It wanted me to chuck it, but I didn't. I was equally stubborn and kept at it and refused to let it go.  Because of my war with this piece, I called it "Salvaged".  It was salvaged in a way, since I almost destroyed it, but brought it back and let it live. Funny way to talk about a painting, but artists would completely understand what I mean. Even the red vase looks like something that was salvaged with the peeling paint and chips here and there. So, Salvaged seemed like a fitting piece.

There are a few more on the easel also. I'm almost done with a horse piece and it's turning out quite well so far.  Let's just hope it stays that way!  I'll be back soon, so until next time, take care and thanks for dropping in! 

2 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

WOW Carole, this does't look like you struggled at all! But I've had painting experience just like yours...if it is any consolation! Love the double meaning of your title.

Carole Rodrigue said...

Thank you Colette. The process isn't always as smooth as we like,but persistence pays off! Always a learing curve eh!