Thursday, June 27, 2013

Silver Apple and Plums Still Life

Silver Apple, Plums, & Cherry
8 x 10 Oil on gessoed board
Carole Rodrigue © 2013


It's been two weeks since my surgery and every day has been better than the last.  I must say that the first several days were rough but healing has been quick.  Despite feeling great, physical activity is still limited to mostly walking and I do still tire out quickly.  Heavy lifting is still out of the question too. Because of taking the time necessary to recover, let me just say that I've been really, really bored.  So, what's a person to do when this bored?  Paint.  An hour here, a couple of hours there, and then you have a painting.

This piece was a delight to paint.  Yes, there's an apple in this one too.  These are also the first plums I've ever painted and at first finding the right colour mix was tricky, but I quickly got the right shade. I used a combo of cobalt blue, alizarin, and burnt sienna.  Some areas had black mixed in, or white, depending.  By playing around with the first three colours I was able to get the exact colours for these plums.  While not all plums are coloured equally, these were darker. Some plums are lighter, requiring perhaps more white and colour tweaking.  It's all up to the eye and painting what you see.  I know that a lot of people learning to paint would like to see a recipe or exact amounts of paint used to create a colour.  There is no magic recipe folks.  By mixing and experimenting you get what you need.  The more you do, the easier it gets to figure out what colours are required in mixing.  A good base of colour knowledge is important, but once you're rolling, experience will give you what you need. 

After completing this, I started on another first -- a peony.  I'm posting a pic of the initial blocking in, or underpainting.  After getting my sketch down on the canvas, I layed down my basic shades and shapes and then will continue to build up layers and details in order to complete the painting.  This underpainting was done in 1.5 hours and there is a lot of work yet to be done. I need to correct shapes, values . . .  The initial blocking in is merely a starting point.  I'll be back shortly with a progress shot, or the completed painting.  In the meantime, have a wonderful week and thanks for dropping in!
 
 
 

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Such a wonderful post, Carole!..so informative ...I do "some" oils and truly appreciate this information..
This painting is absolutely beautiful ..so realistic as all of your work.
Hope you feel better!!!

Carole Rodrigue said...

I'm glad I was able to share some information that was of value to you, and thanks again for your support. And yes, I am feeling way better. Almost on top of the world better. ;-)