Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Three Apples Alla Prima Still Life


Three Apples
8 x 6 Oil
Carole Rodrigue ©2014

As stated in yesterday's post, I painted apples.  When in doubt, always paint apples.  I'm kidding; there were no doubts, just a lot of apples.  That's not to say that I don't ever have doubts with my work.  I think all artists do.  It's just par for the course to doubt one's work and one's direction every once in a while.  If not, I don't think one is growing as an artist.  I also destroy works I'm not satisfied with at times.  Again,  think all artists do this too.  I just thought I'd share a little about this because many people are under the impression that every work comes out as intended.  Several years ago, I was relieved to read an artist interview in a popular art magazine where this very successful artist stated he often hated some of his works and many he found to be inferior.  These he would paint over.  That's encouraging for any artist and shows that one is able to recognize growth and potential, as well as areas that need improvement.  I have painted over many canvases or destroyed them.  Some have ended up as impromptu palettes holding gobs of paint.  Hopefully, this is something I will keep doing in the future.  :-)

The apples in the above painting were painted today, alla prima and I took many still shots as I painted.  I don't have any quality method to record so I'm taking photos for now.  I'm going to be putting together a little video demo with these stills.  They still show my process quite nicely.  It'll be posted and shared here and on YouTube as soon as it is done.

I hope you like this little painting, as well as my long paragraph.  I plan on discussing more of these art issues in the future.  Ta-ta for now!


2 comments:

hmuxo said...

I never get tired of seeing your apple paintings, Carole. I love the rich colors you used...

Carole Rodrigue said...

Thank you so much. I never tire painting them. :-)