Monday, January 4, 2016

How to Tone a Canvas Video Tutorial



Friends, I know I've already made a post in the past about how important it is to tone a canvas or support, but I also wanted to make a video.

I've read so many comments online and on YouTube videos where people criticize artists for having a toned background. They leave comments such as,"Why are you bothering to paint that just to cover it up with white?", or other comments to that effect.  While they're good questions, it's important to understand why it's such an important part of the oil painting process.

Often, I've also had people ask me how I painted so fast: this is part of the reason why I can create daily paintings really quickly and still make them look tight and realistic.

I list a few important reasons why in the video.  I always tone my canvas and supports now and this has improved my painting a great deal.  I can't imagine NOT toning a ground on my canvases anymore.  It's just such a crucial part of my process.

In this video, I tone using turpentine and burnt umber.  I create a wash over the supports, gesso panel in this case.  I leave the wash set for about five minutes, and then wipe off with paper towels.  You can also use lint-free cloths but it can get expensive after a while, so paper towels it is for me. Let the supports dry for at least 24 hours before painting on them. I also like to tone several panels or canvases at once since I'm already stinking up the studio with turp fumes.  This way, I've also always got a supply of ready supports that I can just pull out and paint on when the mood strikes me.  

Have a look, give it a try, and then a few more tries.  Once you get used to this method, you'll never want to paint on a white canvas again.

Happy painting!

#paintingtips #onlineartlessons #howtopaintwithoils 

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Wonderful and informative video Carole!!

Carole Rodrigue said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!