Sunday, June 26, 2016

A Very Special Portrait


Always
14 x 18 Oil on linen
Private Commission


This painting was a very special commission and the second the family requested I paint.  The young man portrayed with his beautiful mother passed from cancer earlier this year.  The guitar I had painted was his.

I cannot express the emotional connection I felt to this young man the whole time I painted him.  I was even very sad to see the painting go, as though I was saying goodbye to an old friend I knew I'd never see again.  At the same time, I'm very humbled and honoured to have been asked to paint him and his mother in this special moment.

The title of this painting is "Always".  I had no idea what to call this painting.  As I was making the certificate of authenticity, I automatically typed Always without much thought.  After I saved the file, it was next to the file of the first painting I had created for the family, which was called, "I am with you."  It was definitely a goosebump moment as I had not planned this at all.

My hope his that this painting brings smiles and fond memories to the family.  Nothing can ever take away the pain of losing a loved one, but hopefully this brings some joy and comfort.

On an other note, I am working on a couple of wildlife pieces that I hope to share soon.  I hope you are all having a great day.  :-) 

1 comment:

hmuxo said...

Such a beautiful portrait Carole which will be treasured forever! A very sad post ...I hate hearing about these young people getting sick and passing...its just not supposed to happen and I can only pray for the parents. He was a very handsome young man!